About me

TESOL Greece International Convention, 2012  (photo by Jeffrey Doonan)

Thank you for dropping by. I’m Sophia Mavridi and I am a Teacher Trainer, EAP Lecturer and Oral Examiner. I have worked at primary and secondary school level in Greece and as a Senior EFL Teacher, Director of Studies and EAP Lecturer in the UK. My post-graduate qualifications include a MA in EdTech & TESOL (University of Manchester) and a DELTA – both with distinction.

I am Joint Coordinator of the IATEFL Learning Technologies SIG and part of a team of educators who are passionate about the potential of learning technology to enhance students’ language learning. But technology is not a silver bullet. Its use need to be principled and supported by proper training to be effective – students’, teachers’ and administrators’ training.

As a teacher trainer, I deliver in-service training to support teachers and institutions to integrate technology in a pedagogically sound way. My major research interests include the application of Digital Citizenship, Media Literacies and eSafety in educational contexts as well as Language Acquisition in Higher Education EAP contexts (English for Academic Purposes).

My favourite quote about teaching?

“Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own.” (Nikos Kazantzakis)

Feel free to leave a comment with your views, questions or feedback.

I am looking forward to connecting and sharing with you,

signature